Monday, October 21, 2013

A Guest Post for LESSology


Hi Friends

I am so happy and excited to do a guest post for one of my favourite blogs LESSology ( the beauty and artistry of using less )  for their Raid the Kitchen Challenge.  For this challenge one has to create projects using something from your kitchen incorporating at least one recycled item.

I have made two projects for the Raid Your Kitchen challenge. Upcycled some old stainless steel containers and a wafer box  for this challenge. There have been few things I wanted to try for some time and that is using crackle effects and decoupage. I have used locally made inexpensive products for both these techniques.



I started with lightly sanding the steel containers so that the paint can adhere better.I used bronze,copper, blue and aqua green metallic acrylic colors as a base coat and left it overnight to dry. 


next used Fevicryl Hobby Ideas crackle medium all over. Wait for about 5-10 minutes and then painted over with a bit of rust mixed with white acrylic colors As I had applied a thick coat of crackle medium, the resultant cracks started appearing soon and are quite defined and big to show the various layers of mixed colors underneath.



 I have added some wood and mirror embellishments on the lid, the second one had some pink stones so I painted over with matching colors. Have kept it simple as did not want to take away from the beautiful crackle effect. Finished with two coats of clear varnish. 

For the chocolate wafer box decoupage  ( box image from the net as forgot to click a picture)  ......


I first painted the tin container with white acrylic color.  Adhered this nice green net effect and wine glass print napkin with home made mod podge ( diluted fevicol MR with water in a 1:1 ratio), left to dry overnight and then coated with another layer of fevicol mix. 




The different laces are from the super cheap scrap basket of a local lace and button store. for the lid I have used the gorgeous off white flower and the green foam flowers which I received from Tone-Hill all the way from Norway, the glittery leaves are hand cut from the lace. 





I do hope you would like these altered projects. It is such a pleasure and an honor to be a guest on LESSology to share my work with all of you. Many many thanks to the sweetest and extremely talented Yvonne oDo More with less and LESSology  and all my friends in blogland for their love and support !! I really appreciate it .............. 

If you like to decoupage, pl have a look at Selena's blog which has a whole lot of amazing projects and tutorials. 



lejdesignschallengeblog.blogspot.in/2013/10/lej-designs-challenge-no-77-anything.html

I am really thankful for your comments, please do share your thoughts. I would love to read what you say and I would love to visit your blog too !! 


25 comments:

Dr Sonia S V said...

I always love to see your recycled and altered projects. I have a similar metal tin in my kitchen and your project is so inspiring Suman!!

Radhika said...

Amazing recycling.. love the makeover of steel containers and wafer box.. lid decoration of steel containers remind me chocolate truffle.. :)

brenda said...

As all you lovely blogging friends left such kind massages last week saying you were fine with copy and pastes while I am not up to typing, I am popping in to say hello and take a peek at your lovely work.

B x

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

I just saw these over there and they are AMAZING!! WOW WOW WOWWWWWWWWW!!! So gorgeous!!!!

EsVee said...

After seeing this now, I'm eyeing at my stainless steel tins... :) Whoever thought they can be made to look SSSO interesting!! Beautiful upcycling Suman.. I like the chocolate wafer box too, but the tins take the cake :)

Sindhu said...

WOW!!! I just can't take my eyes off the beautiful recycled tins! You gave them a whole different look and I absolutely LOVE all of them! Awesome work! :)

toni said...

Fantastic altering those canisters are absolutely gorgeous ! Thankyou so much for joining in the fun over on the eclectic Paperie blog x

SD pooja said...

Congrats Suman ! Its so nice to see you guest designing that to at lessolgy ! Loved your altered tins a lot !

Deepti Stephens said...

Congratulations Suman.. Lovely work.. :)

Micki said...

Wow, I need to send you my metal canisters. Yours are gorgeous. What a great way to recycle used tins. Thank you so much for sharing and playing along with the eTeam in our Get Altered Challenge!!!!

Merry said...

Beautiful work on all these containers.

yyam said...

Thank you so much for being this month's guest designer at LESSology Suman. Your projects are AMAZING. I lovelovelove the crackle effect on those metal canisters. :)

Dana Tatar said...

Wow! Your containers turned out amazing! Thanks for sharing! :)

Tracy said...

Gorgeous job on altering the tins..
loving the crackled effect especially!
so glad you joined us over at eclectic Paperie challenge and good luck.
hugs Tracy xxx

Christine said...

WHat a stupendous creation Suman!! Elegance out of nothing. That tin is simply gold.
Chris
http://ajourneyintoquilling.blogspot.com

Clare said...

Stunning work.

Unknown said...

Goodness, this is amazing and wonderful.xx

UTs Hobby Time said...

Wow Suman. These are truly amazing. Can't take off my eyes. Love it a lot.

Peanut said...

Wow! What a spectacular makeover, Suman. I really admire your attention to detail. Thanks for sharing.
xxx Asha - Sunny Summer Crafts

*Vicki* said...

Oh my what a brilliant recycle make-over!! Love your pretty details!! Thanks for sharing! HUGS :)

Elaine aka Ellapu said...

Your project is stunning I love it and thanks for sharing over at Altered Eclectics.
Elaine aka Ellapu
Owner - Eclectic Ellapu and Altered Eclectics

Nicecrane Designs said...

OMG, Suman, absolutely so stunning containers,,,,,,,,,woww,wowww,wowwww

Tone-Lill said...

Hi Suman, what a gorgeous project and it is great to see that some of the little bits and bobs from norway came in handy. I love your upcycling of the containers. It is soooo creative and fabulous done :)

Sanketi said...

lovely project!

SUGANTHI said...

Beautifully upcycled. The end effect is so nice , I like the first one best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...