Thursday, March 21, 2013

DIY Wooden Abacus school project -Tutorial



Wooden Abacus school project
This is a wooden abacus I made for my son's school project for computers under the topic Early  computing devices. The whole project is made up of recycled stuff and uses a glue gun and a red permanent marker.
Wooden Abacus school project

As abacus making is a common project in schools, I thought of sharing this simple project  as it may be useful for primary and middle level school goers and their mothers. 

Things I used for this project are :

  1. Two broken photo frames
  2. Thin Bamboo sticks taken out of waste pieces of window blinds. ( you can use any thin sticks or even wires)
  3. Wooden beads (local purchase). You can use any kind of glass, plastic or clay beads.
  4. glue gun
  5. Marker to show the place value of numbers

Thin Bamboo sticks taken out of waste pieces of window blinds.


In fact I started quilling using these thin bamboo sticks. the project is quite simple and I don't think a detailed tutorial is needed. 
Follow these easy steps:

  • Trim the bamboo sticks to fit the frame.
  • Thread ten beads each on every stick.
  • Arrange on the frame and fix using glue gun both at the top and bottom of the frame.
  • Write place value on the frame. 
  • Fix the other frame Back to back to give a neater appearance (in case like me you happen to have a spare one otherwise it is not necessary). 



some more pics to make it more clear.



 I have made the place markings both at the top and the bottom of the frame.


This is a fully working model and can easily be hung in the classroom or above the children study table. 

I enjoyed sharing this little project with you and hope you find it useful. 


I am linking this to itsybitsy craft-awards  in their Kids Craft Project of the Year  of the year category.  Wish me luck!




7 comments:

SUGANTHI said...

So beautiful .Much better than store bought one I am sure.

Suman Pandit said...

Maybe it is the thrill of creating something on your own is what makes it worthwhile!!! and who knows it better than you

Sunehra Koshy said...

Hey this is awesome! What a wonderful idea. Your son is going to rock this project! Fab! Happy to be your newest follower and can't wait to see what you come up with next!
ItsyBitsy - The Blog Place
Crafting Till The Crack of Dawn

Hussena said...

What an awesome idea Suman ...Really loved it ...Thank you so much for your lovely comment on my blog I am so glad to be your newest follower too :)

Unknown said...

Wow Suman, this idea is great. Thank you for sharing.

Shahrul Niza said...

Oh yes!!. This is up-cycling glory :). Coolest I've seen so far, I wish my mom made this for my pre-school :). Thank you so much for liking my junk journal @ Yvonne's website, hope you'll play along!. HUGS.

Unknown said...

Thanks

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...